Next 12 Historic Sites
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  

Wayne Stockade
On a site 50 to 100 yards to the east of this marker a blockhouse surrounded by a stockade was erected in 1806 by action of Congress as a "defense against the Indians". General William Hull, commanding the American Army of the Northwest, made his headquarters there July 2, 1812, when he received work of the declaration of war against Great Britain. His army was encamped on the south bank of River Raisin and marched from there on Detroit. Here at Wayne stockade two weeks and two days later Captain Harry Brush refused to be included in Hull's surrender at Detroit. The British in revenge burned the blockhouse the following September.

"War With Happy Ending"
Michigan troops made their headquarters here during the bloodless Toledo "War" in 1835. Intense rivalry between the settlers of the two states found a controversy near flame. Original U.S. Surveys had put in Monroe County the mouth of the Maumee River about which Toledo was taking form. When Ohio started the Miami Canal it obtained from Congress a new survey which showed these lands in Ohio. Months of disturbance ensured. Ohio partisans were seized on the contested frontier and tried in the Monroe County Court House. Militia of both states rushed to the border but never fought. The "war" ended with Michigan accepting the Upper Peninsula in exchange for the Toledo Strip of Monroe County and with the admission of Michigan to statehood in 1837.

University Of Michigan, 1838
A branch of the University of Michigan opened on this site, February 19, 1938. Later that year a female branch was authorized. Of 37 young women and 33 young men were then enrolled, many were from prominent Monroe families. Other came from as far east as Buffalo. In 1840, the female branch was discontinued. Suspension of the University funds closed the school until 1844. Monroe then assumed complete financial responsibility with University sanction. Principals of the branch were Reverend Samuel Center, Ira Mayhew, and Charles Alexander Clark, grandson of Dr. Robert Clark, first register of the Monroe Lend Office. Mr. Clark held this position until the school was permanently closed in 1849. The present building was erected as a public school in 1898 and so maintained until it was abandoned for school purposes in 1928 and given to the City by the Board of Education. It was remodeled to house city offices and so occupied in April, 1930.

U.S. 17th Infantry Campsite
Elements of the U.S. 17th Infantry were camped in an open field just north of here when the British and Indians launched their surprise counterattack at dawn, January 22, 1813. The Americans held their ground here for 20 minutes before the Canadian Militiamen with the British and Indians flanked them, forcing a retreat. Reinforcements arrived from the Kentucky militia camp to the west, but the American forces soon found themselves fleeing across the frozen river toward the old road to Ohio. Nearly 400 Americans were eventually swept into this retreat. Later the British moved their cannon to this site hoping to surround the Kentucky militia camp which was still fighting courageously.

Trinity Lutheran Church
In 1828, German Lutheran families from Baden and Davaria settled in and around Monroe. Served first by horseback-traveling Pastor Friedrich Schmid, these Lutherans organized a congregation known as Zoar, and several churches including Trinity, developed. Trinity was organized Nov. 10, 1844, under the direction of Pastor George William Hattstaedt, and joined the Missouri Synod in 1848. Trinity's first edifice, a frame structure build in 1852, served as both church and school until the Christian Day School was constructed in 1869. On December 10, 1893, a new church of brick, cruciform in design, was dedicated. A massive restoration project, costing more than $600,000, began in 1986 to preserve Trinity's fine late-Gothic architecture and ornate stained glass windows. Trinity celebrated its 150th year in 1944 by "remembering HIS Wonderful Deeds". SOLI DEO GLORIA!

Tecumseh's Headquarters
The great Indian Chief Tecumseh headquarters was near here for over a month after the unsuccessful British and Indian siege of Fort Meigs in Ohio, July 1813. The British strategy was to use the Indians at the River Raisin to slow any American invasion of Canada from Ohio. The Indians had to take food and shelter from the settlement when they received no supplies from the British. Tecumseh and his men withdrew to Canada shortly before refugees from the River Raisin Led Col. Richard M. Johnson's Kentucky cavalry into Frenchtown, September 27, 1813. It would be five years before the settlement was rebuilt after the devastation of the War of 1812.

The Sawyer House, A Storied Homestead

Spaulding Cemetary
The last resting place of many of the pioneer settlers of Milan (Tolanville) and Milan Township. This cemetery served the area from the early 1830's to the early 1900's. The land was deeded to Milan Township on march 17, 1848, by the owners. John and Laurina Spaulding.

Plank Road
Originally surfaced with native white oak planking, Plank Road ran from the Port of Monroe north and west to Jackson. Many of Michigan's pioneer settlers traveled this route in their quest for land. Tolanville (Milan) was the first overnight stop from Monroe. Food, lodging and supplies were available at several hotels and stores in the small village.

Sandy Creek Settlement
Joseph Porlier Benec, Sandy Creek's first settler, was granted a tract of land here by the Pottawatomie Indians, August 3, 1780. By the time of the War of 1812, sixteen homes lined the banks of the creek. Retreating Indians swept through the settlement after the defeat of the British and Indians and Indians at the first Battle of the River Raisin, January 18, 1813. Angered by the pro-American remarks of Jean Solo and Rene LaBeau, these Indians shot them. Labeau's frightened young children ran two and a half miles to the River Raisin, seeking the protection of the American Army. The Americans ordered the Sandy Creek settlement abandoned and it never completely rebuilt.

St. Paul's United Methodist Church
Circuit-riding ministers from Ohio braved swamps, snakes and mosquitoes to serve Monroe Methodists as early as 1804. Though these families fled Monroe during the War of 1812, they returned in strength. Their Wesleyan Chapel just south of this church was dedicated in 1839. Cholera decimated the congregation , but, buy 1871, they rallied to dedicated the present church as the first Methodist Episcopal Church. It became St. Paul's Methodist Episcopal in 1901 and St. Paul's United Methodist in 1969. Extensive renovation of this beautiful church, begun in 1974, uncovered long-lost treasures of furniture, woodwork and stained glass.

St. Joseph Sur La Baie
The parish of St. Joseph, fourth oldest in the Archdiocese of Detroit, dates from the arrival of the hardy French pioneers who began about 1790 making their clearings in the dense walnut stands behind the shores of Maumee Bay. To Father Gabriel Richard, who from Detroit often visited the settlement between 1789 and 1820 it was St. Joseph de le Baie Miami. The primitive log church build near the bay shore in 1819 was replaced by a frame structure in 1826. The present church on a more acceptable site was erected in 1861 and consecrated by Bishop Peter Paul LeFevere in 1852.
   Next 12 Historic Sites
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5